Notifications
Clear all

Animal imaginations and interesting article

2 Posts
1 Users
0 Likes
(@Sandy Scholar)
Topic starter  

This may be a little off topic, but in class this week the idea was presented that humans are the only animals that wonder what it would be like to be a different kind of animal, for example what would it be like to be a dog and experience the world the way a dog does.  Do we know that that's true -- that humans are the only species that thinks that?  There are so many other instances where we thought humans were the only ones who could do something and then discovered we were wrong -- for example, first we thought humans were the only ones who use tools but it has been shown that many animals use tools.  Then it was humans are the only animals that make tools -- but no, other animals also make tools.  Then humans are the only animals with self awareness -- wrong again. Might this be another occasion in which we thought something was true, and it hasn't yet been proven false because no one has devised an experiment to test it?

And the interesting article I found -- how animals use numbers (another thing that I think was once thought to be a "humans only" talent). https://getpocket.com/explore/item/in-the-animal-kingdom-the-astonishing-power-of-the-number-instinct?utm_source=pocket-newtab

(@Bob Jordan)

I had a similar thought regarding authoritative statements about what animals can and can't do compared to humans. 

At the least, the book and Fred's presentations give me a heightened respect for animal capabilities and human "blind spots."

Interesting Article.  Thanks.

ReplyQuote

Leave a reply

Author Name

Author Email

Title *

Maximum allowed file size is 10MB

Preview 0 Revisions Saved

Share This